What is Junior Landcare?
Junior Landcare is about encouraging young people to play an active role in ensuring the safe future of their environment.
Launched in May 1998, Junior Landcare recognises that the contribution of young people is vital if the land they are to inherit is to be in the best possible condition. Junior Landcare also encourages young people to develop a sense of responsibility to the land and other natural resources.
Landcare activities can be successfully integrated into a range of topics within the school curriculum or be part of scout or similar youth group activities.
Landcare programs organised by schools and youth groups provide a great framework for learning in outdoor ‘living classrooms’. Junior Landcare enables kids of all ages to become involved with their local landcare group and work on a range of environmental projects.
Landcare Australia has teamed up with Turf Australia to help refresh, rebuild, or revive 15 school grounds across Australia with natural grass through a new program -Turf Australia Junior Landcare Perfect Patch of Green. The new Junior Landcare program highlights Turf Australia’s commitment to making a positive difference to the environment for schools and youth groups.
Turf Australia is giving schools and youth groups the opportunity to win a free green makeover. Schools and youth groups across Australia have the chance to have their sports field or recreational area revitalized with new turf.
Schools, students and teachers are invited to enter by telling us how natural turf will enhance your environment and how your school ground, recreational area and/or sports field will benefit from a real green makeover. We want to know how real turf will make a positive difference to your school and student community.
How to enter Turf Australia Junior Landcare Perfect Patch of Green Program:
- Download and complete the “Perfect Patch of Green” Entry Form [Click here to download]
- Tell us about your school or group and how real grass will be of benefit to your students
- Include 3 photos of the area that you would like to see improved with natural grass
- Email your entry form by the 31st July 2012 to firstname.lastname@example.org
Who can enter?
- Schools including preschools, kindergartens, primary and high schools across Australia.
- Youth groups including Scouts, Girl Guides and other community organisations that involve and support young people as a key component of their activities and services.
What areas can the school or group request to be considered for the Perfect Patch of Green Program?
Schools or groups are invited to nominate an outdoor area that will be used by children or young people – that does not exceed 68m wide by 100m long and includes:
- Recreational or play area for children or students
- School grounds
- Sports fields (no bigger than 68m wide by 100m long) * or 6800 m2 for round/odd shaped grounds.
Download the Perfect Patch of Green Resources & Info Sheets:
- Turf Calculator – find out how to measure the area that you would like turf laid
- Turf Varieties – find out what variety of turf your school or group requires
- Turf Maintenance – find out more about caring for turf and maintaining lawns
- Turf Watering – find out how to make the most of your available water
- Download the Perfect Patch of Green program focus & criteria document
IMPORTANT TO NOTE: The Perfect Patch of Green program will close on Tuesday 31st July, 2012 (5.00pm EST).
If you would like more information about Turf Australia and turf care tips please visit www.turfaustralia.com.au
OR Turf Queensland at: www.qtpa.com.au
For more information about the Perfect Patch of Green Program call (02) 9412 1040 or email email@example.com or visit the website below.
For more information you can also log onto the Junior Landcare website on: